Seeking ideas for COM radio interface

Discussion on the MakerPlane pyEFIS software

Moderator: John Nicol

ulbuilder

Seeking ideas for COM radio interface

Post by ulbuilder »

I'm considering using the MGL V16 VHF COM Radio that is remote mounted. It can be controlled over CAN or serial and has a built in intercom and SWR meter.

But we do not have any radio instruments in pyEFIS so I think some new widgets will likely be needed.

Most of my flight time is in airplanes that do not have dash mounted radios so I'm am unfamiliar with what sort of features and functionality one might expect find on such radios.

Please share any ideas or features you would like to see.
Some drawings or graphics showing what you think it should look like would be helpful too.

Thanks!
John Nicol

Re: Seeking ideas for COM radio interface

Post by John Nicol »

I have a GPSMAP 496 which allows a connection to an SL-30 or SL-40 radio. It will allow you to tune to a frequency for an airport in the standby slot and also prompt you to change from standby to primary frequency when you are a certain distance from the airport.
496 COM.png
-----
John Nicol
Founder, MakerPlane
John Nicol

Post by John Nicol »

another idea is to have 121.5 as a standby freq in the interface so that you can toggle it. That is something on the SL-40 as a feature.
-----
John Nicol
Founder, MakerPlane
ulbuilder

Post by ulbuilder »

Thanks John, these are great ideas!

I did include ability to store LAT/LON with the frequencies list so you can sort by nearest.
Should be pretty simple to detect distance from the standby and prompt the user. Maybe the swap button could change color when you get close enough.

I need to get my hands on the radio so I can start building this.