Homebuilthelp Video Series - Affordaplane Build

Anything not directly related to Open Source Aircraft, but should still be relevant to open source, or aviation in general. No political, religious or other topics best left to the dinner table with the in-laws.

Moderator: John Nicol

John Nicol

Homebuilthelp Video Series - Affordaplane Build

Post by John Nicol »

Interesting series coming up on YouTube looking at building an Affordaplane. Trying to make access to aviation cheap for lots of people. It may not be cheaper than some kits, but it is easy to build which is the key. Many kits are abandoned because of complexity and time to build. This is an interesting initiative for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0WNZqQep5U
-----
John Nicol
Founder, MakerPlane
jeff54il

Re: Homebuilthelp Video Series - Affordaplane Build

Post by jeff54il »

Indeed very interesting :P
Subscribed to the Youtube series, bought the digital plans, looked at them quite closely, very detailed and comprehensive, excellent piece of work. Came up with some questions:
1. Single seat ultralight, 28 mph stall, no PPL required, and certainly easy to build. Is this the way we want to go with MakerPlane?
2. Maybe design a slightly bigger 2-seat version under LSA rules simply so that it can be used for flight training?
3. Personally I fancy the idea of having fun flying with somebody. Am I missing something?
Jeffrey
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They said "Cheer up, it could be worse", so I cheered up and sure enough it got worse.
John Nicol

Post by John Nicol »

No, you aren't missing anything. I think that having an easy and affordable way to fly and get in to aviation is a fundamental goal of MakerPlane!

I still like the composite flat panel design concept. I think that the fuselage we built in my basement was awesome considering it only took a week.
-----
John Nicol
Founder, MakerPlane
jeff54il

Post by jeff54il »

Yes John, I also still like the "composite flat panel" structure that we used. (Slight nitpicking correction: It's not flat - It's "singly curved" - meaning that from a flat sheet we can make smooth aerodynamically curved surfaces.). I think we learned a great deal in that effort.

Incidentally, I never thanked you properly for that great experience of your (and your family's) hospitality in your home while making that fuselage.

While on the subject, I want to express a couple of misgivings I had/have on the design of that fuselage. It - the design - was based on two (of several) "requirements" we agreed upon: MakerPlane should be 1. high-wing and 2. have no wing struts. That meant that the main wing spar center had to be quite massive and placed approximately over the heads of the pilot and passenger. This has structural implications and constraints to carrying the whole weight of the aircraft through the windshield/window/door posts while the aircraft is in the air, and a separate undercarriage structure in the floor to carry that weight while the aircraft is on the ground. Although this worked in the 1/10th scale RC model that I made and flew, I never felt comfortable with the configuration that relied on the strength of those vertical and diagonal posts. I would very much have preferred to go the low wing route where the pilot, passenger and fuel tank sit ON the main wing spar instead of UNDER it, and the main undercarriage is attached to the same floor structure. All this of course using singly curved composite sandwich techniques.

All criticism/comments from the forum welcome.

Jeffrey.
Jeffrey
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They said "Cheer up, it could be worse", so I cheered up and sure enough it got worse.
John Nicol

Post by John Nicol »

You did thank us and we are very grateful for your companionship during your stay with us and on that epic trip in a truck from Canada to Oshkosh!

I do have the design donated by Hughie Lorimer for the single seat ultralight made from the same type of composite construction. Unfortunately that computer has crashed and I am overseas on business so can't fix it right now, but I have dozens of photos as well taken from the prototype he sent to me as well as a really basic 3 view drawing. That prototype was purchased by someone and taxi tests indicated that it was unstable because he thought the vertical stab was too small. That is an easy fix. Most of the photos he sent to me are here anyway:

http://www.hughlorimer.co.uk/quaiche_gallery.html
-----
John Nicol
Founder, MakerPlane