Bending the Door Frame

Progress and random thoughts related to building the MP v1.0 LSA prototype.

Moderator: John Nicol

John Nicol

Bending the Door Frame

Post by John Nicol »

Hi Jeffrey,

Just to confirm that I did glass one side of the door and frame and was able to bend it to shape from the firewall to the rear bulkhead. It takes some clamping, but doable. I will take some pix of the clamp structure that I built as well out of gridbeams to hold it in place. I will be fixing one of the door frames in place tonight.

John
-----
John Nicol
Founder, MakerPlane
jeff54il

Re: Bending the Door Frame

Post by jeff54il »

Hi John,

As you know I'm busy trying to get the 1/4 scale "flying wind-tunnel" built and flying as quickly as possible, and to that end I've produced a full set of drawings of all the composite fuselage parts - 5 sheets of A0 paper @ 1/4 scale. I then had them printed out, and because A0 is quite a large format I also printed them out at 40% scale (=1/10 full-size) to facilitate easy markup and comments as I build. My son saw me poring over drawings and said "let's make a 1/10th scale flying model as well :!: just to check that the parts fit together as planned, and that the singly-curved composite sheet technique (that is unique to MP) actually works. We both got caught up in the idea and within a few hours we built about half of the fuselage. We also picked up on a few details that are missing from the drawings, and I immediately added them.
We're using soft balsa instead of foam and paper instead of fiberglass cloth but the technique is identical to the planned full-sized product. I did use pultruded fiberglass sheet to make the main center wing spar because that item needs to be strong, but for the rest the balsa/paper sandwich turns at to be remarkably rigid - certainly strong enough for a model this size. Also, since we're cutting by hand (not CNC) we didn't cut out details such as lightening holes that would be trivial for CNC.

Here are some pics:
20130808_184620.jpg
20130809_120431.jpg
20130810_113425.jpg
20130811_125927.jpg
20130812_120348.jpg
Jeffrey
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They said "Cheer up, it could be worse", so I cheered up and sure enough it got worse.
John Nicol

Re: Bending the Door Frame

Post by John Nicol »

Hey that looks great! And it looks rather familiar!
-----
John Nicol
Founder, MakerPlane